Professor Ted Azarmi's Forum

Author Topic: World currencies  (Read 21713 times)

Offline RoyaS.

• Hero
Re: World currencies
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2009, 11:14:05 pm »
Solution is attached,

best regards,

Roya S.

Offline benjamin1979

• Hero
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2009, 12:05:34 pm »
Please find attached my summary. Regards Benjamin

Offline Jessica82

• Super Hero
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2009, 11:33:32 pm »
Foreign Exchange Markets and the World Currencies class exercise

Netherlands

From the 17th century until 2002, the Dutch guilder (dutch: gulden), appreviated as f. or fl., was the official currency of the Netherlands. It was then replaced by the euro. Between 1999 and 2002, the guilder was officially a "national subunit" of the euro.

The word "gulden" is Middle Dutch and means "golden", indicating that the coins were originally made of gold. The symbol ƒ or fl. for the Dutch guilder was derived from another old currency, the florijn. A quite remarkable characteristic of guilder coins and banknotes is that they made up a system of quarters. Thus, it had coins of ƒ 0.025 (plak, vierduitstuk, halve stuiver), ƒ 0.25 (kwartje) and ƒ 2.50 (rijksdaalder), and banknotes of ƒ 25 and ƒ 250.
The exact exchange rate is still relevant for old contracts and for exchange of the legacy currency for euros at the central bank: 2.20371 NLG/ 1 EUR.

In 1940, during the German occupation, the guilder was pegged to the Reichsmark at a rate of 1.5 Reichsmark per guilder. Later that year, the rate was reduced.

After WW II, the Allied forces set an exchange rate of 2.652 guilders = 1 U.S. dollar, which became the peg for the guilder within the Bretton Woods system. In 1949, the peg was changed to 3.8 guilders = 1 dollar, approximately matching the devaluation of the British pound. In 1961, the guilder was revalued to 3.62 guilders = 1 dollar, a change approximately in line with that of the German mark. Since 1967 guilders were made of nickel instead of silver.
In 2002, the guilder was replaced by the euro. Coins remained exchangeable for euros at branches of the Netherlands Central Bank until 1 January 2007. Banknotes valid at the time of conversion to the euro may still be exchanged there until 1 January 2032.

Questions:

Is it a fixed or a floating exchange rate? It was pegged to several currencies over time, so it was not allowed to fluctuate with the market forces of demand and supply.

Is it convertible? Yes, it was.

Is there a currency peg? Is the currency tied to USD, EUR, etc.? The guilder was pegged to the German Reichsmark from 1940-1945, then pegged to the USD under the Bretton Woods system.

Are there forward markets/ future markets or options for this currency? If so, where are they traded? The Dutch guilder was comprised in the European Currency Unit (ECU) and thus could be traded indirectly at forward/ future and options markets.

Is there a black market for the currency? No.

Offline Schmidt

• Senior Vice President
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2010, 10:24:15 am »
Please find my homework attached.

I covered Denmark, Dominica and Estonia.
Laura-Sophie Schmidt [170910]

Offline VS

« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2010, 05:10:32 pm »
Attached my homework to Foreign Exchange Markets

My countries: Kazachstan (Tenge), North Korea (North Korean won) and Kuwait (Kuwaiti Dinar)

Offline Carlos

• Vice President Member
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2010, 07:41:55 pm »
Attached is my homework concerning "Foreign Exchange Markets and the World Currencies".
My countries are: Mexico, Moldova and Mongolia.